Free Range Kids

Free Range Kids!
Raising children to be healthy and self-reliant in an unpredictable world can be tough. You've come to the right place. I am a homeschooler taking a stand for my kids to "be kids". I love the title "Free Range Kids" as is accurately depicts my teaching and parenting style. While learning can be serious business, so is play time! I use a Montessori approach in my teaching... allowing my children to touch, taste, feel and experience a little thing called LIFE. Teaching from love and not fear has been an obstacle I've had to overcome. Come on this journey with me as we teach, love and raise strong independent children!

Monday, June 16, 2014

3 Things That Will Automatically Make You A Better Parent!

1) Get off your phone!  I know you don't want to hear this one but you gotta. I decided one day that I wouldn't let my children see me on my phone ever! This did not include talking to my parents or a friend occasionally. But if I want to check my email, facebook or instagram I need to do that on my own time. This would be during nap or quiet time 1-3pm or after bedtime hours 7:30pm. If all your kid does is see you on your phone 24/7 you are going to have one kranky kid wondering why his mom or dad spend more time on their phone then actually playing with them. This includes computer devices too. Prioritize your time better so you make the time with your kids quality. I promise they will be happier and more cooperative. Plus you don't want them growing up believing that our society is based on virtual relationships. Try it for just a day....then a week...then a month! You will see that you have a completely different child and you will enjoy parenting way more. It only becomes a burden when they are interrupting something you really want to do...i.e..smartphone time. So just put that down until they go down and you'll have a happier home.


2) Be with them! Next time you get invited to a mommy play group, instead of just associating with the moms while your kids go off and play, go play with them. Jump in and build that lego tower, jump on the tramp, cook that pretend meal with them...just be with them. This will strengthen their trust in you and your relationship. So next time you're at the pool, jump in that water and play shark or mermaid or marco polo with them instead of grouping up with the moms or dads and wondering where your kid is the entire time and then getting mad at them when they get into something they shouldn't have. This is also a great time to teach them how to share and play well with others. Be their mentor and teacher. I promise it's okay if you seem like the anti-social mom. There are other times when you can socialize with your mommy buddies.

3) Read this book....It will change the way you do everything! You will begin to understand yourself and your child more. A mutual respect and appreciation will grow as you apply the teachings of this book!   The Child Whisperer by Carol Tuttle


No comments:

Post a Comment