Free Range Kids

Free Range Kids!
Raising children to be healthy and self-reliant in an unpredictable world can be tough. You've come to the right place. I am a homeschooler taking a stand for my kids to "be kids". I love the title "Free Range Kids" as is accurately depicts my teaching and parenting style. While learning can be serious business, so is play time! I use a Montessori approach in my teaching... allowing my children to touch, taste, feel and experience a little thing called LIFE. Teaching from love and not fear has been an obstacle I've had to overcome. Come on this journey with me as we teach, love and raise strong independent children!

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Just let them do it!

It was those fun and simple skills of cooking today that brought our Montessori home to life! I let my 6 yr. old do all of it too. He measured, poured, mixed, folded in, sprayed pam & cooked waffles tonight. All by himself. He was so proud and I was so proud. When I asked him "How was cooking tonight" he responded "Great....and easy". Did he complain at first about helping?  YES! he always does. But I patiently help him enjoy the experience. He wanted to do all of it too once he got started. If I butted in to help, he reminded me (quite abruptly) that he wanted to do it all. Kids love being independent. Teach them the skills and stand by and watch. They will surprise you. It would have been much simpler, quicker and less messy to do this all on my own, but the look on his proud face for having accomplished such a task was priceless! Montessori at its best right here folks.