Free Range Kids

Free Range Kids!
Raising children to be healthy and self-reliant in an unpredictable world can be tough. You've come to the right place. I am a homeschooler taking a stand for my kids to "be kids". I love the title "Free Range Kids" as is accurately depicts my teaching and parenting style. While learning can be serious business, so is play time! I use a Montessori approach in my teaching... allowing my children to touch, taste, feel and experience a little thing called LIFE. Teaching from love and not fear has been an obstacle I've had to overcome. Come on this journey with me as we teach, love and raise strong independent children!

Friday, May 23, 2014

Montessori hands-on games

You can come up with so many Montessori type games just by using things you already have.
A paper towel roll serves as a tube for dropping pompoms in and trying to catch them in a bowl. This entertained for quite some time.  I would recommend using colorful pompoms and even coloring or covering the paper towel roll with something bright and colorful. 





Picking up pompoms with tongs is always a great way for kids to learn hand-eye coordination. They get to use their muscles to squeeze those tongs together and keep them together as they drop a pom pom in an ice cube tray. I found this cool tray at my local grocery store. Different shaped things that are fun and colorful, I find are a must for kids to stay engaged.

 Sticking pipe-cleaner through a colander. Teaches concentration and fine motor skills.

 Magnet sticks can keep the kiddos busy for a while as they go around the house seeing all the cool things it can stick to. We play pick up games, seeing who can pick up just the pink magnetic chips, or just the screws and bolts, or just the big or small ones, or biggest to smallest. You get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment