Free Range Kids

Free Range Kids!
Raising children to be healthy and self-reliant in an unpredictable world can be tough. You've come to the right place. I am a homeschooler taking a stand for my kids to "be kids". I love the title "Free Range Kids" as is accurately depicts my teaching and parenting style. While learning can be serious business, so is play time! I use a Montessori approach in my teaching... allowing my children to touch, taste, feel and experience a little thing called LIFE. Teaching from love and not fear has been an obstacle I've had to overcome. Come on this journey with me as we teach, love and raise strong independent children!

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Continent Box: Asia


This week and next week we will be studying Asia. Here are some of the goodies in our Continent Box






 I have this really cool leap frog globe I got at a yard sale a few years ago. It's really coming in handy now. Dax would pick a flag from the flag page, we'd find that country on the map, he'd color it, then we would listen to a song from that country and find out the population. The Leap Frog globe has many facts about each country including the songs for each.

Every day we will watch an episode of "Wild China"
He really loved learning about the Panda Bears and all the cool animals there. I thought he'd get bored because I was falling asleep myself, but he was fascinated with it. 

We will be talking about famous landmarks throughout Asia

We watched a couple of youtube videos on each famous landmark. 
This is Merlion Park in Singapore. 
Dax loved it and spent a good 45 minutes just watching videos on this park. 
Then we watched vidoes about the Dead Sea in Jordan. 
We talked about the salt content in the water making you bouyant. 
People get rubbed down with mud and soak in the sea. It makes their skin silky soft. 
And then we got to Mount Everest in China. 

And going over Money and production and how much things might cost there compared to here. 

Then we'll cover animals and their symbols in Mandarine. 


I'll have the children trace paint these symbols which describes each of their personalities. 

Then the kids got to paint (trace) their chinese or mandrin symbol. 


And these are the books in our Asia Box that I got from the library. So many wonderful resources to be found at the library. I am in love! 


No comments:

Post a Comment